I want to apologize ahead of time if this a lengthly post but I get a lot of questions about Birchbox and Ipsy, so I want to be as detailed as possible 🙂
Birchbox and Ipsy are both monthly beauty subscriptions. They both charge you $10 at the beginning of either month, then mail you either a box (Birchbox) or a bag (Ipsy) full of makeup goodies a couple of weeks later. I have had Ipsy for 11 months, and Birchbox for 3, so i feel as though I’ve gotten to experience both subscriptions. They’re similar but each have their own pros and cons.
Birchbox came around in 2010. They send around 5-6 samples each month in a simple brown box each month. Their samples are typically high end, but smaller than Ipsy’s samples.
- Their point system is great! For every item you review, you receive 10 points. For every dollar you spend, you earn 1 point. For every person you refer, you earn 50 points. Every 100 points=$10 in the Birchbox shop. This means that you can save money on some pretty awesome stuff!
- Their stuff is typically high end, and good quality.
- The brown boxes might not be as exciting as Ipsy’s fun bags, but they’re pretty useful! So far I have found a purpose for all of them.
- You will definitely try new products… ones you’ve never even heard of.
- $10 a month isn’t very much, and has definitely curved my spending on beauty products.
- They have you fill out a quiz, and use that to send out the boxes. They feel more personalized than Ipsy’s bags.
- They have a men’s box!
- The samples are way too small for my liking. I don’t mind receiving small samples of hair products, or even makeup products, but I can’t tell how well a skincare product works after only one or two uses. I’m talking like one packet!
- I like to think I am pretty knowledgable as far as makeup brands go, but for some reason I haven’t heard of most of the things they send. I have seen people get theBalm or Benefit in their boxes, so maybe it’s just mine.
- A lot of the products they send cost way more money than I would care to spend.
What have I gotten in my Birchbox?
- till Bags Small Collection
- Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream
- Juicy Couture Couture La La
- Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle
- Color Club Nail Polish
- Birchbox Bobby Pins
- Kérastase Bain Chroma Riche- Cleanse
- BENTA BERRY G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream
- Kérastase Masque Chroma Riche- Treat
- Pür Minerals CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF
- ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick
- Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
- Whish Hair Inhibiting Deodorant Swipes
- Whish Exfoliating Body Wash
- OC8® Professional Mattifying Gel
- CAILYN Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner
Ipsy is definitely the newer bag! It came around in December 2011. Ipsy sends either full size products or deluxe samples. Every month there is a different theme with a new bag!
- Ipsy glam bags arrive in a metallic, hot pink bag every month! What is not to love about that?!
- Most of the products that Ipsy sends out are big brand names, and easily recognizable.
- If it isn’t a full size product then it is a deluxe sample which means it is pretty darn big for a sample! Definitely big enough for you to decide if you like it or not!
- A lot of the gurus involved in Ipsy post videos using all the products! It’s fun seeing how all the products come together.
- The rewards system isn’t as good as Birchbox’s but you do get an extra treat if you refer someone.
- Their page on Facebook releases sneak peeks which is either good or bad depending if you like to be surprised! I personally like the sneak peeks because I think it’s fun playing detective.
- Since the products are usually from well known brands, you might get something you already have.
- The bags are cute but there comes a time when you no longer know what to do with all them.
- The bags are kind of on the small side. I had to use three of them to pack for going out of town, and I didn’t even take a lot.
- There are a few different varieties of bag contents each month but they don’t seem as personalized as Birchbox boxes do
What have I gotten in my Ipsy?
- Couture Colour Pequi Oil Treatment
- Coastal Scents eyeshadow quad
- Mirenesse Lip Bomb Glossy Lacquer Stain
- Be A Bombshell Eyeliner
- theBalm Body Builder Mascara
- theBalm Meet Matt(e) single eyeshadow
- Starlet Intense eyeliner
- Nailtini Millionaire nail polish
- bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss
- Chella eyebrow gel
- NYX Loose Pearl Shadow
- Urban Decay Zero eyeliner
- Mai Couture Highlighter Papier
- Mirabella primer
- Be A Bombshhell lip gloss
- Nailtini Straight Up nail polish
- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil
- Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Mini Body Butter
- Sexy Hair Volumizing hairspray
- SOHO concealer brush
- Coastal Scents eyeshadow quad
- Pixi primer
- POP mascara
- Mica Beauty gel eyeliner
- Lash cards
- yaby eyeshadows
- Juice Beauty hydrating mist
- GlamRX palette
- La Fresh Makeup Remover wipes
- Mica Beauty Mineral eyeshadow
- Sexy Hair Soy Renewal
- Sation nail polish
- Be a Bombshell blush
- yaby concealer
- Zoya nail polish
- Pacifica roll on perfume
- Juice Beauty lipgloss
- Pacifica Luminizing Body Butter
- Starlooks lip pencil
- NYX blush
- J.Cat cream palette
- Chella highlighter pencil
- Psssst! Dry Shampoo
- POP Beauty Pouty Pop crayon
- BH Cosmetics California Collection eyeshadow sample
- Benefite benetint
- COOLA tinted moisturizer
- Sexy Hair Weather Proof Humidity Resistant Spray
- Urban Decay Revolution lipstick
- Pixi Lash Booster mascara
- Smashbox Photo FInish primer
- Mica Beauty eyeshadow
- Michael Todd Pumpkin facial mask
Whewwww! That was a lot to type! Before I joined both of them, I looked up the types of boxes/bags they had sent in the past to get an idea of what I was signing up for. Hopefully, having all of them listed in the same place is helpful. Please keep in mind that what other people got might have been different than what I got. Some people might’ve gotten better items than me, or I might’ve gotten better items than other people. Make sure when you fill out your profiles to pay attention to what you put, because that will help them decide what to send you. You will NOT like everything you get! If you don’t like wearing most kinds of makeup or you want to like every single thing you get each time, then these boxes are most likely not for you.
So now the question is, if I had to choose between one of the boxes, which one would it be? Hands down Ipsy! I have NEVER had a disappointing box from Ipsy, ever! The samples are HUGEEEE! So far I have only had one Birchbox that I really liked, but I am going to give them a little longer!
If you have any questions, please leave them down below!